Monday, September 15, 2008

Home Sweet Home (part deux)

Connie would be so proud. On Tuesday, we had soul food-fried chicken, collard greens, candied yams, cornbread, and mashed potatoes at Mamie's Spoonbread Too in Harlem. Finger lickin' good.






At the Museum of Natural History, I was relieved to know I could view the dinosaurs with such close proximity and not fear being eaten alive. The fossils were SO COOL and my favorite exhibit. This museum was impressive because of their dedicated efforts to display animals in a painted natural-like habitat.

Angela flew out on Wednesday, Selina slept in, and I resumed my quest to spot a celebrity. The Upper East Side probably hid a celebrity inside one of their expensive stores, but I was too intimidated by the store bodyguards to try my luck. I crossed Central Park and saw boys in their collared shirts and pressed pants playing baseball. Only in New York. On the Upper West Side, still no luck.
I went to the Columbia University PT Open House, learned about their program, spoke with the program director, and was sold. I hurried home, and we went to the most legendary jazz club in the world, the Village Vanguard to listen to jazz music. At first, I couldn't get into it...but like Donald Miller said, sometimes you have to watch someone enjoy something before you can yourself. The lady behind us was clearly loving it, whisteling and clapping after each song. I closed my eyes, and loved every minute of it. The entrance fee included a $10 drink, so being the sophisticated drinkers we are, we ordered a cranberry vodka and a margharita. I couldn't fool my amateur drinking self.

No comments: